PPAS Mountain Resources
Pikes Peak Resources
Current Weather on Pikes Peak
Summit Weather Station info here
This station is fairly susceptible to the mountain weather and can often be out of order.
- When the wind speed shows zero, question it. The anemometer is likely frozen.
- Check the date of last reading to insure data is current.
Glen Cove SNOTEL (text)
Glen Cove SNOTEL (graph)
Snotel info here
This remote Snow Telemetry station measures snowpack and temperature data and is protected from the wind. Measured is Temperature, Snowpack depth and Snowpack Water Equivalency (how much water the snow would melt down to)
- Check the date of last reading to insure data is current
- Sometimes when it is actively snowing the snowpack depth will read zero
Pikes Peak web cams
Summit web cam (east facing)
Summit web cam (multi directional)
Woodland Park cam (south facing)
Other web cams
Weather Forecasts on Pikes Peak
Summit, NOAA point forecast (text)
Summit NOAA point forecast (graph)
Glen Cove NOAA point forecast (text)
Glen Cove NOAA point forecast (graph)
Forecast Discussion the for Pikes Peak Region
Forecast Discussion info here
These weather discussions are local forecasters giving the point forecasts (above) value. They help to inform us what they are seeing in the computer run models and were the models tend to exaggerate or underestimate potential.
- There are three discussion areas throughout Colorado (Pueblo is our local area forecast center)
- Z or Zulu is equivalent to UTC (universal) time. For Colorado, the conversion is -7 hours in the winter and -6 hours during daylight savings time.
CAIC Weather Models & Stations
CAIC Models info here
The Colorado Avalanche Information Center has tailored these weather forecasting models to be useful in tracking and predicting temps, wind, precipitation and more.
- Default model is CAIC WRF
- Models run every 6 hours for an 84 hour span
- Usually choose the most recent model, if it shows less than 84 hours, computers are currently running the model
- 700mb Ht-T-RH (Temps and Relitive Humidity at ~10,000′)
- 700mb Ht-Wind (Wind at ~10,000′)
- 300mb Ht-Wind (jet stream)
Upcoming Courses: View Calendar
Map and Tour Planning Resources
Pikes Peak Alpine School operates under special use permits from the USDA Forest Service, Pike National Forest and is an equal opportunity service provider & employer